Wednesday, August 12, 2009

STRONG.

STRONG. That seems to have been the theme for me this entire summer. Strong in my Faith, PKRC Strong, and Army Strong. Now that my summer has come to a screeching halt, I have had the chance to just sit back and soak up everything I have experienced this summer; Every moment I have shared with the kids (too many to write about), with my fellow staff, and with my God. And I would like to share how each have impacted me this summer.


My Heavenly Father-
Couldn’t have done it without my faith in Him. That’s for dang sure. Even when I wanted to quit, I didn’t. He called me here for a reason, and nothing was going to stop me from serving Him.

“So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we DON’T GIVE UP. Therefore whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone- especially those in the family of faith.”
Galatians 6:9-10


Friends, we have no idea how or when we may impact the people that surround us. You have no idea who is watching you, or who is looking up to you. But we do know that we should do GOOD to everyone. Do good to the person who sits in the cubicle next to you every day, do good to the person who flips you off on the way to work, or to the family member who has done you wrong in the past, do good to the person who is at war with you. I hate to sound as if I’m using every cliché in the book, but seriously think about it. Love people. And always be the stronger person. Think about how we can apply STRENGTH to our own lives. And how we can change ourselves for the betterment of someone else on this earth who may need us, and most importantly who may need God.

My daddy always told me. “Our last minute is always God’s right on time.”
So don’t stress. Everything happens for a reason.

Nadia (representing all of the kids I have worked with this summer)-

This beautiful little girl was born in Russia without either of her arms, her family adopted her when she was tiny, and now they live in Texas. Nadia showed me STRENGTH. I spent 5 days with her, and I learned how to eat with my feet, paint with my feet, and how to just be a kid, Nadia made me realize how extremely fortunate I am in this life. Every day of her little life Nadia is going to be faced with a new challenge. Going into the 1st grade this fall and having to face bullies who may treat her differently because she doesn’t have arms. In 8 years, going to high school and being told she can’t be on the team because she’s “different” or because she has a “handicap.” Wrong. She can do anything she set’s her mind to, and I strongly believe that she will. And she will do it with more integrity than you and I could ever muster up.
I owe my STRENGTH to her.








“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for me wholeheartedly, you will find me. I will be found by you,” says the Lord. “I will end your captivity and restore your fortunes. I will gather you out of the nations where I sent you and will bring you HOME again to your own land.”
Jeremiah 29:11-14

My Family-
Your constant support is what I will need ALWAYS. It means more than anything else to know that you are ALL there for me no matter what life brings my way. Daddy and Pani for always being that conscience in the back of my head making me think before I speak, or think situations through before I make decisions, and for calling me and making my day. Gramma for always sharing your wisdom with me. Your letters to me this summer kept me going, just knowing that you took the time out of your days 3 times a week to write me a good old fashioned letter just made me feel so loved and cared for. Momma- for always calling and checking up with me and allowing me to share everything with you without having to worry about being judged. I love you for that. Nana for making sure that I always had a home cooked meal when I needed one, and your wisdom as well is what allowed me to make it through the summer. Jake for being able to share my spiritual growth with, and being able to see how God has worked in your life his summer was an incredible experience. Lindsay for always being my moral and emotional support, I love you for your constant care and prayers for me. Rachael- baby girl, I could NOT have done it without you in the “Real World House” this summer. Haha. You always kept me in check, and stuck by my side even during the sucky times. I love you girl.

Brandon-
My summer with the kids may have come to an end faster than what I expected, but he stepped in at just the right time. I have received my STRENGTH first from the Lord, but it has been reinforced through the kids, through my family, my close friends and through Brandon. He is a man of STRENGTH, integrity, faith, and honor. He, along with several others, serves in the United States Army. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure the Army has a self explainable slogan.
ARMY STRONG. :)

I’m tellin’ ya, God has a sense of humor.

In knowing Brandon for only a week so far, he has already become a huge part of my life. And he should be, he should be a huge part of all of our lives. As of yesterday, he is once again, in Iraq fighting for our country. And I am so proud to have the chance to know him. Pray for him. Pray for all of the men and women fighting the good fight.
Brandon is STRONG, and because of that, I am STRONG.


I usually struggle for words when it comes time to conclude my blogs. But I found a word of scripture that speaks so much truth, and says what I want to say better than I ever could do myself. So please read these miraculous words of Paul the apostle written to the Church at Ephesus, and to all believers everywhere.

I love you all. And thanks for sticking by me this summer.
-Lauren McKenzie


“A final word: be STRONG in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. For we are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places. Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will be standing firm. Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of righteousness. For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared. In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil. Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the spirit, which is the word of God. Pray in the spirit at all times and on every occasion STAY ALERT and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere. And pray for me too. Ask God to give me the right words so I can boldly explain God’s mysterious plan that the Good News is for Jews and Gentiles alike. I am in chains now, still preaching this message as God’s ambassador. So pray that I will keep on speaking boldly for him, as I should.”
Ephesians 6:10-20

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! You have a gift with words and sharing the right piece of THE word to bring it home! Thanks for being you Lauren!! I am thankful for your strength and have been blessed by you.

    ReplyDelete